Monday, March 29, 2010

Date night at the movies!

The first time my darling husband brought me to the movies here in the Netherlands I was rather confused on many aspects.  First we ordered popcorn.... the lady behind the counter asked if we wanted salt popcorn or sweet popcorn. Sweet popcorn? My husband (boyfriend at the time) explained it wasn't caramel corn like I assumed but a sugar topping - I later found that this was  kettle corn. I ordered a large (to share) of salt and asked for a shot of butter.  Nope they don't do butter. They lady must have thought I was crazy! She handed me a small container full of popcorn, so I corrected her and said, "No I asked for a LARGE popcorn" She assured me this was their largest.  This was smaller than our smallest at our Canadian movie theatres. We settled in to watch our movie; our popcorn was done before the previews were over.  Movie started and half way through, the movie STOPPED! Yup just stopped! 10 minute intermission so you can get a drink or use the bathrooms- as if this was a high end musical. What a concept!

The theatre in our home town works a little different; it's a full service theatre (with no intermission).  You sit down in VERY comfortable chairs.

  I can stretch my feet straight out in front of me and not touch the seat in front of me (mind you I have short legs).

There is a table with a light that dims during the movie and a menu.  You can order anything from popcorn and nachos to kroketen.

To top it all off, you can order a beer or a strong whiskey to enjoy your meal with.

When the movie is over you can sit at the bar and enjoy your date even longer or have a bite to eat.



We went to see Tim Burton's, Alice in Wonderland with Johnny Depp in 3D.  I loved this a lot more than I expected to.  Johnny, as usual, played a very good role as a mad hatter.  I knew he would - these type of roles suite him to a tee. Alice was played by Mia Wasikowska and even though I wasn't familiar with her acting, she played a good Alice.This is one of those movies you have to watch a few times to catch everything.


4 comments:

Sonya said...

Can you believe I have yet to go to a movie here?!? I've heard from others how small the popcorns are and that there is no butter..Thats so wrong on so many levels. I don't mind salted but Im not a huge fan of Kettle corn.

I can't wait to see this movie! Im a big fan of Johnny Depp(although I HATED his version of Willy Wonka) I also think he is made for movies like this. Im glad you had a good time:)

Anonymous said...

The first time I saw a movie here and there was an intermission, I thought it was so weird! But I missed a good 5 minutes of every movie I saw in the US cause I had to use the restroom about halfway through. Now I'm so used to it and I think it's terribly stupid that it's not done in other countries.

Candee said...

I know same here! When I go back home and watch a movie I pray to the bathroom Gods that I don't need to use the bathroom while the movie is on!

Breigh said...

Ooh I forgot that it was you who lived near the cool theater! I vote that we have a girlie weekend at your place and visit your cool theater! :P I know, nice of me to volunteer your place, huh? haha